Sunday, May 3, 2015

Changing Ourselves Changes the World


Earlier this week, my daughters were talking about all the things that girls can do.  My one daughter said, "We can even lead the world." I asked each of them, "Would you want to?"  They both declared, "No - there is too much confusion."  Ironically, I think we all feel that way.  We all feel compelled in one way or another to simplify the onslaught of issues and pain we see in the 24 hour news feed.  Yet, we are all left at the end of our day with the lingering question of what I can I do?

Despite the complexity of the issues we face, the best approach we can take is inward. It can seem so simplistic.  However, in Psalm 51 verse 10 David prays, "Create in me a clean heart. And renew a right spirit within me."  We get so caught up in fixing the world. Or worse, we look where to lay the blame.  When the only thing we can really change is ourselves. Mahatma Ghandi said, "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."

Earlier this week as the riots broke out in Baltimore, I posted the prayer of St. Francis.  It truly sums up how we can change the world, by merely changing ourselves.  There are things within our humanity we can change. For all others we must work with our Lord to do the deeper work. Slowly things in us and our world will change.




Lord, make me a channel of Thy peace;
Where there is hatred, let me bring your love
Where there is injury, your pardon; Lord
Where there is doubt, true faith in you;
Make me a channel of your peace
Where there's despair in life,let me bring hope;
Where there is darkness, only light;
And where there's sadness, ever joy.

Oh, Master Grant that I never seek
So much to be consoled, as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved as to love with all my soul

Make me a channel of your peace
It's in pardoning that we are pardoned;
In giving to all men that we receive;
And in dying that we're born to eternal life


No comments:

Post a Comment