Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Only New Years Resolution You Will Need

This time every year all of us, the planners and non-planners, the optimists and pessimists, all make a list of things we need to fix in the new year.  Some lists are elaborate and recorded on goal setting apps in hopes that this will be the year.  Whereas other lists are small and committed to paper, then folded and placed in ones wallet.  All of this list making requires an element of truth.  Being able to honestly look at yourself and admit - "I'm fat." "I'm disorganized."  "I'm relationally dysfunctional"  "I am two Amazon purchases away from being broke."



As we begin to embrace the truth, maybe that is all we need to focus on. Benjamin Franklin declared that, "Honesty is the best policy."  And I believe he was right. If we simply resolve to be more honest and comfortable with the truth in the new year we just may like the results.  Former President James Garfield put truth in a very honest perspective that may better represent how your year will start if we choose truth "The truth will set you free, but first, it will make you miserable."  

Recently, I got into a twitter fight (I think that's a thing) with a complete stranger.  He was pounding away at my position on a recent hot button issue here in Gotham.  As we continued the back and forth, which spilled into two days (we will see what tomorrow holds), he could not see that I was just talking truth. I was simply addressing the facts.  And it made me realize how badly we need truth.
  

In this day and age of spin doctors (oooo and I recently read that Prince Charles hired one to make us all fall in love with Camilla...) truth is hard to come by.  George Orwell said, "In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  I think we all need a bit of revolution.  I can honestly say, that two years ago when my doctor smacked me with the truth that my health was in jeopardy if I didn't loose weight - I needed a revolution.  I am very grateful for the results of that wake up call.  

So, start your new year with a simple list of "Truth" - facing it and using that as your measure as you make your decisions.  For example, just because the cookies are broken doesn't mean you won''t gain weight eating 6 broken cookies. Take your year one truth at a time.  And may this prayer help you along the way "Lord, where we are wrong make us willing to change; where we are right, make us easy to live with."  (Rev. Peter Marshall)


No comments:

Post a Comment